Zebit is a fast growing, eCommerce and financial services technology company located in San Diego, CA. The Company’s mission is to reinvent how credit is provided to over 100 million U.S. consumers who either have no traditional credit score or are below the mainstream threshold to access cost-effective credit or emerging buy-now-pay later payment options. These “underserved” consumers make up the largest credit segment in the U.S. and have historically been relegated to a very limited and costly set of product financing options such as Rent-to-Own and Lease-to-Own or have been forced to take out Payday loans to buy what they need. These options can cost two to four hundred percent of a product’s retail value, and end-up trapping consumers in a perpetual cycle of debt by charging them approximately $66 billion per year in interest, fees, and penalties when payments are missed. Zebit is the first company in the U.S. to offer everyday consumers a large selection of competitively priced goods across more than twenty-five product categories (such as electronics, appliances, home décor, furniture, and beauty) and interest-free credit to pay for their purchases over six months.
We are seeking a hands-on and results-driven Accounting Manager to join our team. The position will work remotely at the start and eventually be a part of the San Diego (UTC) office.
Title: Accounting Manager
Department: Accounting & Finance
Reporting Manager: Sr. Director of Accounting
Position Summary: The Accounting Manager is a key stakeholder and thought partner to the Sr. Director Accounting and the CFO. Responsibilities include maintaining the general accounting functions, monthly financial reporting, writing accounting and financial reporting position papers, managing all relevant support for audits and tax compliance. This position is responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with company financial policies and US GAAP.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare full financial statements in a timely fashion in accordance with deadlines established by the department, including, but not exclusive to income statement, balance sheet, cash flow, equity, variance analysis, and fixed assets
- Manage, evaluate performance and mentor direct reports
- Work with Sr. Director of Accounting on variance analyses for each month, quarter, and year end
- Lead the monthly and year-end closings and prepare for audits
- Ensure all activities have been recorded, accounts reconciled, and reporting completed on a timely basis
- Analyze financial statements for discrepancies and other issues that should be brought to the Sr. Director of Accounting and CFO attention
- Responsible for the sales and use tax for the company; understand the nexus of the various states we operate in and filing within those states
- Coordinate semi-annual audits and conduct regular ledger maintenance
- Maintain and reconcile fixed asset schedules
- Monitor and make recommendations on write-offs, bad debt, and other AP/AR responsibilities
- Participate and/or leading projects as assigned
- Manage accounting personnel
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field required
- CPA required
- Minimum 7+ years of progressive accounting experience, including 1+ years of directing and evaluating the work of others
- AR/AP experience required
- Having held a senior accounting role in a publicly traded company required
- E-commerce experience preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively across departmental functions
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls and financial reporting required
- Strong understanding of revenue cycle management
- Knowledge of financial systems (cloud-based applications experience is a plus) including advanced Excel skills
- Must have strong communication, organizational and analytical skills
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Business Acumen— has a sound understanding of the business and its strategy
- Problem solving —the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Technical accounting – solid understanding of technical accounting including but not limited to ASC 606 Revenue Recognition, ASC 842 Leases and ASC 350-40 Internal Use Software
- Oral and written communication —communicates effectively; prepares clear and concise reports and presentations for internal and external use
- Trustworthy/creditable — quickly establishes credibility, trust, and support within all levels of organization; respects other people’s opinions and suggestions; takes ownership of issues and is accountable
- Process effectiveness — looks for ways to continually improve processes
- Planning/organizing — prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Attention to detail — demonstrates high level of accuracy and thoroughness
Supervisory Requirements: 1-2 direct reports initially
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field required
Experience Requirements: Minimum 7 years accounting experience required
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary with stock options
- Multiple company supported medical, dental and vision plans to choose from
- 401K plan
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the corporate office is usually moderate.