This newly created role, as the second person in our legal team, will report directly into our General Counsel and will involve working on a myriad of interesting legal matters. You will get to see directly how your work fuels the growth of one of the most interesting technology companies headquartered in London.
In addition, given the global nature of the business, every day will see you work on a matter involving a different jurisdiction (and often multiple jurisdictions in the same day).
The what3words legal team aims to be a business “enabler”, encouraging and furthering sustainable growth, and this means that we are looking for someone that is capable of thinking creatively and finding solutions to any problem – even when there is no tried and tested answer. You’ll also be able to juggle multiple different things and be comfortable interacting with multiple different stakeholders at once.
If you are passionate about technology, interested in start-ups, enjoy working on a wide variety of matters and want to work in a role that offers you the chance to have a visible impact in a growing business – then this could be the perfect opportunity.
You will have experience in, and will be comfortable running with, the following:
- Drafting and negotiating licensing agreements, marketing agreements, MOUs, NDAs, supplier contracts
- Maintaining commercial contract templates and online terms and conditions
- Administration: hard and soft copy document management and review; liaising with internal departments across a variety of documents
Bonus points for experience in any of the following but otherwise you will be keen to learn about:
- IP: managing our expanding trademark and patent portfolio
- Data privacy: knowledge of the GDPR and its impact across the business
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption: ensuring proper internal and external measures are in place
- HR/Employment: working with HR to ensure internal policies are appropriate, employee incentive schemes are administered according to the appropriate frameworks, providing support for any legalities required for joiners and leavers
- Corporate: due diligence and company secretarial matters
- Miscellaneous: research and advice on specific international matters (e.g. with regards to mapping laws in China, South Korea etc.); office lease; general commercial/legal/operations support
- You will either be an experienced paralegal or recently qualified solicitor – we are flexible and focussed solely on finding the right individual for the role
- Bachelor’s degree + LPC or an equivalent combination of education or experienced required
- Ideally some in-house experience, whether directly or via secondment
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written – with the ability to explain complex concepts to people with very limited knowledge of legal concepts
- Highly professional in your approach, and discreet and responsible with confidential information
- A “can-do” attitude: able to work at pace and turn your hand to new things
- Excellent organizational skills with a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Comfortable working on the more “exciting” tasks as well as more administrative matters and applying the same effort and attention to both
- Enjoy working directly with the business and are keen to understand the drivers and motivations of the different teams that legal supports
Extra credit if you:
- Have worked in a technology company, or supported technology companies in a commercial role
- Can provide excellent references from colleagues/managers/partners in your current/previous roles
- Have international experience
The what3words team is a mix of experienced entrepreneurs, people who have worked at the highest levels in large global organisations, academics, and bright graduates – it’s a good balance, and it’s important for us that we get the right person who is happy working alongside people from these backgrounds. We have a relaxed and focused office in West London, with regular team socials, and we expect to add more benefits as we grow. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the early joiners at what3words.