We are looking for an experienced and talented Android developer, who specialises in Android & Java development and is comfortable working in a fast paced, innovative environment. We have a number of existing and upcoming Android apps in our product line-up and are looking for knowledge and demonstrable experience in this area for us to build up our app engineering team. Performance and scalability are important to us, so experience with writing clean, transferable code and data structures is a significant advantage.
- Java development in Android Studio or similar
- Experience of Test Driven Development (TDD) in an Agile project based env.
- Extensive end-to-end experience developing mobile apps, from interpreting UX designs to working with product teams on recursive feedback and testing
- Familiar with Agile development cycles and Jira
- Google Maps Platform API
- OCR experience (Tesseract ideal)
- Cloud deployments (AWS)
- Using RESTful web APIs
You will have:
- Excellent communication skills in both spoken and written English
- The ability to talk to techies and non-techies in suitable language
- A passion for development and staying current with technology trends
- The ability to work both independently and with others
- A focus on high quality software engineering work and attention to detail
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Extra credit if you:
- Like maps and location based services and know what a GIS is (we love maps)
- Are able to understand the business context of what you’re doing – understand the value your work creates.
- Enjoy learning new skills in scripting languages and how to use those to showcase our products
The what3words team is a mix of experienced entrepreneurs, people who have worked at the highest levels in large global organisations, academics, and bright graduates – it’s a good balance, and it’s important for us that we get the right person who is happy working alongside people from these backgrounds.
We have a relaxed and focused office in West London, with regular team socials, and we expect to add more benefits as we grow. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the early joiners at what3words.