This is a unique opportunity for a highly-motivated business development person to join a rapidly-growing business in its scale-up phase as we are looking to expand our Business Development activities to the USA, starting in Silicon Valley.
We are specifically looking for someone who can be a key member of a small local team, focused on global businesses. You will work alongside the US Vice President to spearhead our growth in the USA. You will need to be comfortable getting stuck into all areas of the business and working with leaders from the private sector to implement what3words.
You will have the opportunity to shape the trajectory of the company as you build partner relationships and bring in new accounts. This job will entail hard work and long hours (with a healthy respect for work-life balance), including travel opportunities, including to the HQ in London.
It will be highly demanding, and you will be expected to meet challenging targets – but you will also be part of building this global business from the ground up. You will have the opportunity to work with inspirational colleagues who are committed to making the world a better place.
We are specifically interested in the right personality with compatible skills rather than an arbitrary length/type of previous experience. Candidates looking for a career change and those with non-traditional career paths are encouraged to apply.
As this is broader and could encompass eg account management work if needed early on
You will have:
- A long, strong track record of selling technology products to large companies, ideally in one of what3words’ key verticals
- Experience managing and forging relationships in business and/or government
- A degree or equivalent (university of life counts too)
- Exceptionally good presentation and written communication skills
- The ability to work quickly and flexibly, with the mental agility to make good decisions quickly
- Impeccable written and spoken English
- Excellent understanding of what3words, the industries we work in, bringing ideas for capitalizing on our global growth
- A sharp mind, personable conversational style
- You may have experience that is unrelated to this sector – perhaps you have been CEO of your own startup before. We are looking for the right person to help our VP shaping our US strategy at this critical time of growth for what3words.
You will be:
- Highly intelligent, with the work and/or academic history to prove it
- Extremely tech-savvy, able to understand the intricate details of our technology (without being a coder or necessarily having any coding knowledge) and be very comfortable discussing it with clients.
- An exceptional relationship builder
- A natural collaborator who enjoys working in a team with clever and ambitious colleagues
- Highly persuasive and excellent at getting things done
- Willing to embrace all aspects of working in a fast-growing business, from managing day-to-day admin to giving speeches to global audiences
- Able to excel under pressure, with meticulous attention to detail
- Able to travel regularly, including at short notice
- Motivated by challenging targets and a fast-paced office environment
- Commercially-minded and committed to global social change through business
Extra credit if you:
- Have knowledge of / worked in Logistics, Automotive, Travel, Navigation, Mapping, e-Commerce
- Have worked in an industry where what3words is highly applicable
- Speak other languages (preferably one spoken in multiple geographies, such as Spanish, French, Chinese or Japanese)
- Have done business abroad, lived abroad or travelled widely
- Can provide excellent references from colleagues as well as supervisors in your current/previous roles
- Have successfully sold something completely new and revolutionary
About the role
Joining our growing business development team, you will drive forward and forge key relationships for what3words in the US, starting with a focus on the West Coast global tech companies (e.g. Facebook, Google, Uber, Postmates). You will be expected to take on strategic responsibility for key sectors/verticals within your first two months, thinking creatively about how to grow our business and acting fast to make it happen.
We are looking for people who can quickly understand clients’ pain points and match those to the solutions we can provide. You will have a very good understanding of how to access key players (companies and individuals) and will use this knowledge to generate new leads across relevant industries.
You will work closely with the what3words HQ teams based in London, England, but need to be comfortable working in a small team day-today (likely 3 people based in Sunnyvale, CA).
About the team
Our business development team is made up of bright graduates, experienced team builders and outstanding salespeople. We are looking for someone dynamic who believes in our vision for change and is excited to join the company at this stage of growth.
We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
This is an incredibly exciting time to be joining what3words, as we begin to explore new global territories. We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the first at what3words.
Those with unusual career paths or career changes are encouraged to apply – if you instinctively understand what3words and believe your skills can help us accelerate our global growth, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for someone to start this role as soon as possible in, so applications will be considered as and when we receive them.
Please note that this role will be based in our Silicon Valley office, therefore we will only accept applications from individuals based in the Bay area (or ready to move to Silicon Valley/San Francisco Bay area immediately) and those that have authorisation to work in the USA.
Please send a combination of resume/CV/covering letter/LinkedIn profile and your thoughts on what3words itself, how you would embrace the role, and 3 US companies you’d target.