We’re looking for an Intermediate Backend Engineer to help us build scalable and reliable services to support our growing business. In this role, you will help develop and deliver next-generation services that will help increase the efficiency, reliability, performance, and agility of Ritual’s infrastructure. You will work in close collaboration with our product, design, and engineering teams to deliver delightful features to continue to grow and expand the reach of Ritual’s product line.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 2-4+ years of experience delivering high-quality software
- Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems and a willingness to take on new product features
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Coding skills in Java or C++/C
- Large systems software design and development experience, with knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Interest in working on a rapidly changing, ever-evolving systems
Big Plus If
- You have experience building microservices
- You are familiar with Google Cloud Platform, Docker, Kubernetes
- You have experience with database design and SQL
What We Offer
- Opportunity to work on an amazing consumer-facing product that our customers love
- Competitive compensation package and equity in the business
- Healthcare coverage and a generous vacation policy
- Daily in-app credit towards lunches and coffees
- Your choice of the development environment to make you most productive
- A pantry full of snacks
- Fun company-sponsored events and off sites
About the Team
The engineering team at Ritual is a small and tight-knit unit. We are driven to deliver high-quality software as quickly as possible to our end users. We are extremely data-driven in our decisions about the product and constantly iterate to provide best customer experience. We are problem solvers, while remaining business-minded and customer-focused.
We are mostly a Java shop hosted on Google Cloud Platform. We are currently in the process of transitioning a monolithic codebase on AppEngine to microservices using Docker/Kubernetes communicating over gRPC. Our data layer is mainly in MySQL, Memcache, and BigQuery. Our customers interact with the application through native iOS and Android apps as well as a web (React) interface. We take a project-based agile approach to software development.
Ritual’s mission is to digitize local commerce. We are an online marketplace connecting consumers to their local merchants to make the purchasing of goods and services more efficient. Ritual was founded in 2014 in Toronto by a group of serial entrepreneurs and ex-Googlers with the vision of bringing digital efficiency to the local commerce space. Since then, the company has grown to 290+ people and has raised $150 million in venture funding.