We’re looking for an experienced Full Stack Web Developer to help us design and build and grow beautifully crafted web products to support our growing business. We are looking for someone with a passion for developing that creates clean, reusable, and robust systems. If you value simplicity, work comfortably in a collaborative, agile environment, and are excited to learn, we’d like to talk to you.
Technical leadership at Ritual requires impact and ownership. A Senior Software Engineer at Ritual is expected to be effective in the following areas:
- Contribute to architecture: You understand large areas of our system and are able to reuse or add new components to existing architecture
- Scalability and performance: You are always mindful of scalability and demonstrate a meaningful understanding of scalable design and performance choices
- From product requirement to feature delivery: You work independently or lead a small team that can quickly turn product requirements into testable experiments and production ready code
- Code quality & code review: You have passion for quality code and maintain a high standard of style; enforce/update existing patterns
- Team oriented: You build tools that makes the whole team more productive. Improve tools and processes when needed
- Knowledge transfer & mentorship: You share the knowledge you've gathered and help the rest of the team grow
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience delivering high quality software
- Experience building API’s
- Passion for web technologies and improving infrastructure
- Interest in working on a rapidly changing, ever-evolving systems
Big Plus If
- You have technical leadership and team management experience
- You are familiar with Google Cloud Platform
What We Offer
- Opportunity to work on an amazing consumer-facing product that our customers love
- Competitive compensation package and equity in the business
- Healthcare coverage and a generous vacation policy
- A daily in-app credit towards lunches and coffees
- Your choice of the development environment to make you most productive
- A pantry full of snacks
- Fun company-sponsored events and off sites
About the Team
The engineering team at Ritual is a small and tight-knit unit. We are driven to deliver high-quality software as quickly as possible to our end users. We are extremely data-driven in our decisions about the product and constantly iterate to provide best customer experience. We are problem solvers, while remaining business-minded and customer-focused.
On the front-end, we use Node.js Express for our service API’s, and React along with Redux for our client web app. Our legacy web systems are served by Java servlets, with Jquery, Bootstrap, and HTML to build the clients.
On the back-end, we are mostly a Java shop hosted on Google Cloud Platform. We are currently in the process of transitioning a monolithic codebase on AppEngine to microservices using Docker/Kubernetes communicating over gRPC. Our data layer is mainly in MySQL, Memcache, and BigQuery. We take a project-based agile approach to software development.
Ritual’s mission is to digitize local commerce. We are an online marketplace connecting consumers to their local merchants to make the purchasing of goods and services more efficient. Ritual was founded in 2014 in Toronto by a group of serial entrepreneurs and ex-Googlers with the vision of bringing digital efficiency to the local commerce space. Since then, the company has grown to 290+ people and has raised $150 million in venture funding.