Ritual’s mission is to digitize local commerce. We are a two-sided marketplace connecting consumers to their local merchants to make the purchasing of goods and service more efficient. Our initial product focuses on creating a social food ordering experience that allows users to pre-order take-out at their local restaurants. We make it easy to place group orders and have a co-worker deliver your lunch or coffee right to your desk. Our value-add for merchants is to increase their order volume and repeat business. Additionally, we provide merchants with valuable insights into their local customer behaviour, allowing for highly targeted local marketing campaigns.
Ritual was founded in 2014 in Toronto by a group of serial entrepreneurs and ex-Googlers with the vision of bringing digital efficiency to the local commerce space. Since then, the company has grown to 150 people and has raised $125 million in venture funding. We are currently partnering with over 3,000 restaurants in 10 cities across North America, including Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Toronto, Washington, DC. While continuing to grow in North America, we are also looking to expand internationally into Europe and Asia. More than 44,500 teams across companies like Goldman Sachs, Oath, Spotify and SpotHero have formed on Ritual.
About the Team
The engineering team at Ritual is a small and tight-knit unit. We are driven to deliver high-quality software as quickly as possible to our end users. We are extremely data-driven in our decisions about the product and constantly iterate to provide best customer experience. We are problem solvers while remaining business-minded and customer-focused.
We are mostly a Java shop hosted on Google Cloud Platform. We are currently in the process of transitioning a monolithic codebase on AppEngine to microservices using Docker/Kubernetes communicating over gRPC. Our data layer is mainly in MySQL, Memcache, and BigQuery. Our customers interact with the application through native iOS and Android apps as well as a web (React) interface. We take a project-based agile approach to software development.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to help us design and build scalable and reliable search infrastructure to support our growing business. We are looking for someone with a passion for developing mission-critical software that creates simple abstractions for complex infrastructure. This is a greenfield project and you will be responsible for selecting and implementing the architecture to power search across the Ritual platform.
- Design, implement, and launch modular scalable search systems.
- Work with client engineers to ensure that we deliver an amazing search experience to our users.
- You will work towards adding more intelligence to search, there is a lot of room for personal initiative and creativity there.
- Have a passion for quality code and maintain a high standard of style; enforce/update existing patterns.
- Share the knowledge you've gathered and helped the rest of the team grow.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience delivering high-quality software.
- Experience with search infrastructure.
- Strong OOP & Architecture Design Skills.
- Large systems software design and development experience, with knowledge of Unix/Linux.
- Interest in working on a rapidly changing, ever-evolving systems.
Nice To Haves
- Technical leadership and team management experience.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, Docker, Kubernetes.
- A Github account with cool projects in it.
What We Offer
- Opportunity to work on an amazing consumer-facing product that our customers love.
- Competitive compensation package and equity in the business.
- Healthcare coverage and a generous vacation policy.
- We eat our own dogfood. You will get a daily credit in-app credit towards lunches and coffees.
- Your choice of the development environment to make you most productive.
- A pantry full of snacks.
- Fun company-sponsored events and off sites